Happy Christmas, it’s a time of year that most of us look forward to………….but for different reasons, unfortunately, thief’s especially look forward to this time of year.
Gold and money seems to be the go to items to steal in any break-in, it’s a rare occasion these days would thief’s go for electrics such as TVs as they are too big to conceal and the resale value is not great.
So please this Christmas be vigilant, never leave any cash in the house and take the time to read some other tips below that may help prevent a burglary during the festive period.
How intrusive and frightening it can be if someone breaks into your house. Here are some tips for making your home safe.
1. Lock all windows and doors and remove all keys from view. Check bathroom and sliding doors and make sure they’re locked including all upper floor windows. Even when you are in.
2. Lock all valuables and Jewellery away safely.
3. Use timer switches to leave lights and TV’s on giving the impression the house is occupied
4. Exterior motion detector lights.
5. Always turn on your alarm when leaving. Monitored alarms with motion sensors are the most effective. Either alarm signs or alarm panels should visible at the front of the house as a deterrent
6. Burglars love looking in windows before breaking in. Closing curtains and blinds prevents this
7. Lock up sheds and outside ladders. Ladders help burglars get access to the upper floors.
8. Plant thick spiky hedges around the perimeter at the back of the house.
9. Keep the front of your house clear and open. Burglars like casing a house behind thick hedges etc
If you are broken into and want to make a claim. Why not have it professionally assessed. In PCLA we have over 20 years’ experience in dealing with these claims. Part of our service will include a full survey of the house, scratched and scraped walls and furniture, damaged doors and frames etc as well as a detailed and comprehensive list of all valuables. Good back up for the valuable items is always helpful whether it is a photo with the jewellery being worn, or previous valuations or in the case of electronic goods, boxes, warranties, instruction manuals, jewellery boxes etc should all be numbered and itemised professionally on a spreadsheet. We have in house contents and jewellery experts who can assist. We have checklists for clients to help identify all the missing items.
In Property Claims Loss Assessors Ltd we are Engineers and Building Surveyors with over 20 years’ experience. In addition to storm damage we also cover damage from pipe leaks, fire, flood, subsidence, break-ins, etc. Our first survey is free and we are a ‘no win no fee’ company.
ROI: Land 01 5620082 Mob 087 6165435
NI: Land 028 95212991 Mob 077 95374150
Web www.pcla.ie Email firstname.lastname@example.org