Peoples idea of a chimney fire is a street filled with smoke and flames coming out of the flue or you could have an explosive noisy fire but both are rare. Quiet and slow burning chimney fires are most common and that’s why people have them unbeknownst to themselves. Here are some tell-tale signs that you’ve had a fire.
- Broken or cracked flue tiles in your fireplace
- Damaged or melted roofing materials
- A discoloured chimney cap or flue
- Cracks in the chimney breast (possibly soot in the cracks). Smoke smells at ground level or in bedrooms above the fireplace
- Cracks in chimney in the attic space.
Prevention is simple
- Have your chimney cleaned annually.
- Use dry wood.
- Burn the hardest wood you can find.
If you have damage as a result of a chimney fire, have it professionally assessed. In Property Claims Loss Assessors Ltd we are Engineers and Building Surveyors with over 20 years’ experience. In addition to chimney fire damage we also cover damage from pipe leaks, storm, flood, subsidence, break-ins, etc. Our first survey is free and we are a ‘no win no fee’ company. Call us.
Make a claim Contact Us
ROI: Land 01 5620082 Mob 087 6165435
NI: Land 028 95212991 Mob 077 95374150
Web www.pcla.ie Email email@example.com