The powerful storms hitting the USA and China are reminders to us that Ireland could also get some storms this winter too. Even though your home insurance covers storm damage its equally important that you prepare your home for preventing same and keeping your family safe. Here are some tips
- Clean all gutters, downpipes and drain cover. Leaves and debris can cause blockages and ultimately damage
- Check the trees in close vicinity of your property. Dead or diseased trees could topple in a storm and hit your property. You may need to engage a tree expert to assess your trees
- Store away all outdoor furniture. They may become missiles in heavy winds.
- Have your roof inspected annually by a professional roofer.
- Utilities – know where to turn off your gas water and electricity in case of emergencies
- If you have no shutters, close all blinds and curtains
- Identify the safest room in the house. It should be an internal room with no windows
- Create a disaster kit with first aid and some emergency supplies
- Follow the weather forecasts daily during the winter months.
If you have damage as a result of a storm, have it professionally assessed. In Property Claims Loss Assessors Ltd we are Engineers and Building Surveyors with over 20 years’ experience. Our first survey is free and we are a ‘no win no fee’ company. Call us.
ROI: Land 01 5620082 Mob 087 6165435
NI: Land 028 95212991 Mob 077 95374150
Web www.pcla.ie Email firstname.lastname@example.org