BE SAFE AT HOME THIS CHRISTMAS – Electrical Safety Tips
Christmas is a time when we use a lot more electrical items. Plug in Christmas lights and new presents requiring charging all add up. Here are some tips for staying safe.
- Never put fingers or other objects in an outlet(socket) as you’ll get a big shock.
- Keep metal objects out of the toaster including knifes or spoon as again you’ll get a shock.
- Never use electrical appliances near a sink as water is an electrical conductor.
- Never pull a plug out by the wiring always pull the plug directly.
- Don’t bring anything electrical into the bath like phones or tablets.
- Stay very clear of fallen wires outside the home.
- Never overload any sockets it could cause a fire.
- Unused wall outlets should be covered. Plastic inserts are a good solution.
- If using temporary extension leads – hide them behind furniture and use electrical tape to cover unused plug holes
- Keep plug in devices up on shelves out of children’s reach
- Keep bathroom and kitchen electrical appliances eg hair dryers and toasters out of reach of curious children.
If you have damage as a result of an electrical fire, have it professionally assessed. In Property Claims Loss Assessors Ltd we are Engineers and Building Surveyors with over 20 years’ experience. Knowing where smoke can go eg electrical boxes and conduits, behind skirting boards etc and how to professionally clean everything is always a normal part of our assessment. We always advise clients after a fire to never start repairs until all the smoke damage is cleaned and certified. In addition to fire damage we also cover damage from pipe leaks, storm, flood, subsidence, break-ins, etc. Our first survey is free and we are a ‘no win no fee’ company.