Portable Domestic Gas Heaters
One of our clients had a problem with a gas heater he was using to heat an outside office. When the room got too hot he tried to turn off the heater but somehow there was a gas leak at the valve that went on fire. Luckily there were no injuries and the fire brigade put out the fire. Here are some safety tips when using these heaters.
- Always read the owner’s manual
- Choose a heater that is appropriate for the room size. The room must be adequately ventilated and must not be a bedroom or a bathroom
- Keep children away from these heaters
- Keep all combustible items at least one meter away from the heater. People drying clothes too close to these heater is a common cause of fires
- Turn off the valve when going to bed
- No painting near a gas heater
- Never disassemble a cylinder
IF YOU SMELL GAS:
- Shut off the valve at the top of the gas cylinder by turning clockwise
- No Flames or sparks
- No light switches, appliances or telephones
- Open all doors and windows
If you have damage as a result of a fire, have it professionally assessed. In Property Claims Loss Assessors Ltd we are Engineers and Building Surveyors with over 20 years’ experience. Knowing where smoke can go eg electrical boxes and conduits, behind skirting boards etc and how to professionally clean everything is always a normal part of our assessment. We always advise clients after a fire to never start repairs until all the smoke damage is cleaned and certified. In addition to fire damage we also cover damage from pipe leaks, storm, flood, subsidence, break-ins, etc. Our first survey is free and we are a ‘no win no fee’ company. Call us.