PREVENTING STORM DAMAGE
Every winter in Ireland we seem to get at least one storm. Even though your property insurance covers storm damage its equally important that you prepare your property for preventing same and keeping your family and belongings safe. Here are some tips:
- Clean all gutters, downpipes and drain cover. Leaves and debris can cause blockages and ultimately damage.
- Check the trees in close vicinity of your property. Dead or diseased trees could topple in a storm and hit your property. You may need to engage a tree expert to assess your trees.
- Store away all light outdoor furniture and equipment. They may become missiles in heavy winds.
- Have your roof inspected annually by a professional roofer .
- Utilities – know where to turn off your gas water and electricity in case of emergencies.
- If you have no shutters in your property windows, close all blinds and curtains.
- Identify the safest room in the house. It should be an internal room with no windows.
- Create a disaster kit with first aid and some emergency supplies.
- Follow the weather forecasts daily during the winter months.
If you have damage as a result of a storm, have it professionally assessed. In Property Claims Loss Assessors Ltd we are Engineers and Building Surveyors with over 20 years’ experience. In addition to storm damage we also cover damage from pipe leaks, fire, flood, subsidence, break-ins, etc. Our first survey is free and we are a ‘no win no fee’ company.